Wednesday, May 9, 2012

After Miscarriage: Physical (Part 1)

In my last post, I was waiting for the "horror movie" to start and I am sad to report that it was indeed close to horror movie status. Those online bloggers weren't kidding... but I am happy to report that my miscarriage has finally come to an end. I have about 2 weeks left for my hormone levels to returned to normal, but I feel good and the wait shouldn't be too bad.

I actually miscarried the baby this past weekend. I ended up needing the Misoprostol pills to help it along and a week after taking them I finally started bleeding. I bled for 2 days and then had really bad period cramps that started around 8 pm Thursday night. They turned to what I can only imagine as labor contractions around midnight and lasted for about 5 hours. I usually like to deal with pain on my own, but it was so bad that I had to wake up John for moral support. Poor guy, I hate making him miss sleep... and  there wasn't much he could do. I was grateful for the company. I guess misery really does love company... though not how the saying is usually meant. I didn't want him to share in any of this pain. He was great! Thank you, honey! I love you!

The natural process consisted of so much pressure and pain. I have never actually given childbirth, let alone natural childbirth, so I really can't compare the two. However, it felt similar to what I imagine contractions feeling like. The pain was the worst I have ever felt in my life. It got super intense at one point and was so bad, I threw up and that is when the placental tissue came out. I hate throwing up, but it did bring enough relief that I could finally lay still and try to sleep. I never did actually fall asleep. I had John call the emergency line at my doctor's office and they wanted me to come into the office first thing in the morning. We got there at 8 am. My pain had subsided from a 10 to about a 5. Though pain is all relative. The pain I was having as a 5 felt like a 10 the night before, but coming off a 10 it was the best feeling in the world. 

The doctor's diagnosis was that the remaining placental tissue got stuck. They had to preform the D&C right there in the office without anesthesia. I will spare you all the disgusting details that happened there. My doctors are amazing!!! He was able to get the remaining tissue out quickly. It was super painful, but I can't imagine what kind of pain I would have had later, had he not saved my life here. My doctor told me if I can do a D&C without anesthesia then I can do anything. 
Now... if you happen to be reading my blog and are going through trying to decide on miscarrying naturally or doing the D&C with anesthesia, please email me at I will give you as many details as needed to help you make your decision easier. Everyone's body is different so the natural process may be your best option. I will never do it natural again (hopefully this never happens again). I don't care how much our medical deductible is, I will have the D&C sound asleep with lots of anesthesia! :)

It's all over now! WHEW! I am on lots of antibiotics to prevent infection. They are giving me diarrhea! (Just thought I would share). I'm just waiting for my hormone levels to go back to normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment